Looking for inspiration?
The Oxford Dictionary definition: The process of being mentally stimulated to do or feel something, especially to do something creative.
Whatever you’re creative landscape, at some point you’ve probably found yourself bereft of inspiration. So, how can you become inspired? Where does it come from? Is it something you can obtain through repetition or is it just a eureka moment where an idea seemingly appears in your brain from out of nowhere? In Greek myth, it was believed that all creativity came from the gods who were the muses of ancient Greece.
Textile Artist Jocelyn Hare reveals her inspiration is taken from anything and everything including nature, art exhibitions, theatre, architecture, literature and anything that may be happening in visual culture. She explains: ‘It could be related to my field of textiles and fashion accessories or a completely different discipline, but both can spark off an idea and creative associations to be used later in my work’.
So what can you do when faced with staring at that dreaded blank page? Are there any exercises that can be used to mobilise inspiration if waiting for your creative muse is not a luxury you can afford?
Inspiration for me can have many sources. Being visually aware and listening to everything that’s happening around me are essential components for generating ideas and potential subject matter. From reading blogs, books, magazines, visiting art exhibitions to watching theatre – all have the potential to inspire a thought process. I heard it once said that inspiration accounts for only 5% of an idea with the remaining 95% being pure hard work which I’ve found to be the case on more than one occasion. Brainstorming is a great way to develop ideas and bounce thoughts off colleagues. Taking a break, making a coffee or going for a walk to clear the head has often helped to unlock ideas.
Whatever your creative requirements, it’s important you find the solution that works best for you. The critical thing is to never give up. That elusive moment of inspiration will materialise providing you focus and adopt the right mindset.
So, take a deep breath, relax and let your creative muse do the rest.
*The author would like to thank Jocelyn for her kind contribution. https://twitter.com/jharedesign